Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sinus Surgery Run-down

Well, I woke up this morning at 5:45 to get ready for the day. I needed to call the weather hotline before Aunt Ann left her house to pick me up just in case things were delayed. So I did that, checked FB and email, got dressed and did some last-minute straightening. I also swept the kitchen floor. Aunt Ann showed up right at 6:30 and we were off!

Getting to the Surgi-Center was a piece of cake. But, apparently, not for the two people who were scheduled before me. We arrived at 7:05 and they went through all my paperwork. Then they immediately took me back. I got changed into the fashionable gowns, skid-free socks, and hair net and put my clothes in the locker they provided. Then I got to do all the fun pre-op stuff. During this the nurse told me that the two people ahead of me (my surgery was originally scheduled for 8:45) had not shown up yet and so I was going to be first! I was excited about this because, honestly, who wants to wait and wait when you are already there and ready? At around 7:20 she started the saline drip (I hate this because it makes my arm cold!) and sent me into the room to talk to the various doctors. We went over everything and at 7:35 they walked me into the (frigid!) OR. I was asleep in about five minutes and then waking up in recovery. At this point it was 8:55. I was so cold! It was like when you have a baby and your whole body just shivers and shivers. The top of my mouth was numb and so was my nose. It felt weird to eat ice chips but I had to because me mouth was SO DRY. I rested and tried to eat as many ice chips as I could but it was hard and plus I was still cold! They kept bringing me those AWESOME warm blankets! I need to get myself one of those heater things. They look just like refrigerators! That would totally run circles around those Snuggies...lol. Anyway, by 10:10 I was dressed and out the door! When I got home I was able to get some rest. Ella was home from school recovering (no fever today, yay!) and was laying next to me. It was so sweet because she would often lean over and stroke my hair or kiss my cheek. Around 2:00 the pain really hit. My nose felt like it was on fire and the top of my mouth was so tender and sore. Plus my head was starting to hurt. Just all-around miserable-ness. At 3:00 I was allowed more medicine so I took that and felt better within the half hour. Right about the time my wonderful friend Kathi showed up! And boy does she know me! She brought Taste of Home's Casserole's, Slow Cooker & Soups book (that I've eyed at every checkout stand for the past two weeks!), People, and Women's Day. Perfect!

I've been taking it easy ever since. It's so nice to sit in bed at 6:45 and blog and not feel guilty! But I'm still bleeding pretty bad and I want it to stop and the only way to do that is to sit and do nothing. I'm sure I'll be over it by tomorrow but for now there's nothing to do and so I'm enjoying it!

I'm hoping I can sleep tonight and that tomorrow is uneventful. I appreciate all of you who have been praying for me! Keep them coming, the next few days will be rough, I'm sure.

Off to take more DRUGS....


jodie said...

So where is the picture? :) Are you packed on both sides?

Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel said...

So sorry you had to have surgery, but glad everything went well.